Grin Technologies is an electric bike and light electric vehicles kit company located in Vancouver Canada. They make ebike kits with motors, batteries and controllers including the Cycle Analyst display panel along with bicycle lights and even electric skateboards. Their website has a motor simulator app and many other technical resources. The company hosts and supports the ebike forum known as Endless Sphere. This forum includes a section on items for sale, technical conversation and photos that members share. It is also a space where Grin Technologies posts updates on testing and product development. Justin attended University at UBC and ran an electric bike club around 2003. We got to discuss the history of electric bikes. Grin was incorporated in 2005 after two years of working on an ebike club at the University of British Columbia. Their products are geared towards DIY do it yourself enthusiasts.
Notes from Justin: Below are some links that pertain deeply to a few of the topics that we talked about during the visit.
– The potted battery experiments thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=71125 (and specifically youtube video here of thermal runaway tests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBlac5gWLfI )
– Results from the wind tunnel thermal characterizations of hub motors: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48753&p=1082813
– General discussion thread on the Satiator programmable battery charger development and features: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60169
– Electric Skateboards with hub motor wheels and weight sensing activation: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=49557
– Crazyiest unicycle ever: http://unicycle.info/forums/showthread.php?s=691650cc04a704da6ac5fa416e3f1c79&t=92919&page=5
– The very first test ride of the self balancing skateboard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBIUGxO061o and after a bit of practice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjnLrS7eQ3I and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TeFQKU-9Eo
Address: 20 E 4th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5T 1E8
Phone: (604) 569-0902
Things we looked at: patterson transmission crankset, patterson two speed chainring, cycle satiator universal battery charger (real time feedback on charging), quiescent current, self balancing skateboard, self balancing unicycle, unicon, brompton electric bike kit, brompton motor, airplane safe electric bike, airplane safe electric bike batteries, paddle assist boat, electric row boat with LED lights, bicycle light design EBR was paid to perform this review #Sponsored We try to be honest, thorough, and fun! Comparison tools, shop directory, and forums at: ElectricBikeReview.com